10 Sep Esteemed Abeco Tanks in Kenya
Esteemed Abeco Tanks in Kenya
There is a water crisis in Kenya, due to many causes, including extreme weather conditions causing drought and floods, lack of infrastructure for water supply, and the contamination of water. The severity and frequency of droughts and floods are due to the ongoing climate change.
It is therefore clear to see that a solution and planning has been and continues to be needed.
In 1978 whilst travelling through Africa as Sales Manager for SAIG (South African Iron and Galvanising) the late Mannie Ramos Snr. saw what the future held and decided to open his own company which would manufacture a water storage solution.
Abeco Tanks was opened in 1983 and has been supplying water tanks globally for nearly 40 years. Their tanks currently dot the horizon of the entire African continent, the Middle East, Central America, Seychelles, Madagascar, and Mauritius.
The company has established a reputation of supplying quality water storage tanks that last for many years and for being there for the long haul with after-care service and maintenance.
Their water tanks are a long-term purchase as Abeco Tanks only uses high-quality steel. One section of their factory is dedicated to the evaluation of the quality and thickness of the steel used for their tanks.
The Abeco water tanks are built using separate panels of varying thickness according to the specifications of the individual tanks. The tanks can hold from 1800 litres to 10 million litres of water at a time so Abeco will recommend the ideal panel thickness to make sure maximum water pressure is maintained.
Their panels are cold-pressed using yield stress drawing quality steel. The process of cold pressing increases the strength of the material by 20%.
The tanks are protected from corrosion over time by hot-dip galvanising the steel. The steel is dipped in molten zinc to produce a multi-layered coating of zinc-iron alloy and zinc metal.
According to Mannie Ramos Jnr, it is not the thickness of the steel that protects from corrosion but the thickness of the zinc coating.
The fact that the tanks are built using separate panels means that the parts are lightweight to transport and as a result can be built in remote areas.
The panels are each 1220mm x 1220mm and are precision punched with bolt holes to ensure absolute accuracy of the tank dimensions when built.
All of the steel parts are hot-dip galvanised, the nuts and bolts are of high tensile grade and all sealants and rubber components are non-toxic and non-tainting.
Abeco Tanks goes a long way to ensure that the quality and hygiene of the water stored are maintained.
Their commitment to producing quality, long-life water tanks has earned them some esteemed certifications.
- They are the only South African water tank manufacturer with a SATAS (South African Technical Auditing Services) certification for SANS 10329. SATAS is accredited by SANAS (South African National Accreditation Systems). SATAS specialises in audits and product inspections to certify manufacturers according to the relevant SANS (South African National Standard) requirements.
- The certification by I-Cert for ISO 9001 (International Organisation for Standardisation) establishes Abeco Tanks as an organisation that follows the quality management system principles for the manufacturing of quality products according to ISO 9001 requirements. I-Cert is SANAS (South African National Accreditation Systems) accredited and specializes in the auditing and certification of companies to the requirements of ISO. The ISO 9001 quality management system controls among others, the manufacturing process, purchasing of raw material, and encourages the identification of risks and opportunities, and continuous improvement. Abeco Tanks seeks to meet and exceed customer requirements. All of these aspects and other requirements are closely monitored by the quality management system and regular internal audits, product inspections and audits by accredited certification bodies.
- Abeco is recognised for maintaining best working practices and following international standards.
- Their ISF (International Steel Fabricators) certification gives them the reputation for supplying cost-effective, quality structural steel products globally.
- The SAISC (South African Institute of Steel Construction) membership shows that Abeco Tanks is innovative and skilled, supplies quality products, and can compete internationally.
- The Abeco Tanks are also used as fire tanks. They are certified by the ASIB or Automated Sprinkler Investigation Bureau, who is responsible for setting down quality standards for the installation of these fire tanks that supply water to the sprinkler systems.
- Abeco Tanks is certified by the Water Institute of South Africa, who aims to inspire every person in Southern Africa to have a passion for water and to understand the need to not waste it, but rather to treat it like the important commodity it is.
Abeco Tanks installs water tanks in Kenya for use across multiple industries including mining, business, apartment blocks, schools, hospitals, medical centres, etc. They are also installed to service the rural communities. The tanks are easily transported and erected. They are installed giving the community immediate access without having to walk long distances to collect water and have multiple taps for the community to collect water without having to stand in long queues.
The tanks come in a variety of sizes and shapes. They are circular, rectangular, L-shaped, U-shaped, and custom-made to fit the requirements of the purchaser.
The company offers more than just a storage solution. They provide businesses with a continuity plan by banking water.
The company was born out of a desire to help future generations have accessibility to water the world over.